Free Trial Software
The University of Maine System now has an agreement with Microsoft that allows all of our students, faculty, and staff the personal use of certain Microsoft Office products.
The full MS Office package can be downloaded for Windows or Mac OS X on up to 5 personally owned devices.
You can access Microsoft's online, collaborative version of Office on any computer with an Internet connection.
Need Assistance? Call the University Technology Support Center 800-696-4357 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Integrated Development Environments (IDEs)
Eclipse is an open source IDE for both Windows and Mac for Java, C/C++, PHP developers and more!
From Oracle's Website: Oracle SQL Developer Data Modeler is a data modeling and database design tool that provides an environment for capturing, modeling, managing, and exploiting metadata.
From Oracle's Website: Oracle SQL Developer is the Oracle Database IDE. A free graphical user interface, Oracle SQL Developer allows database users and administrators to do their database tasks in fewer clicks and keystrokes. A productivity tool, SQL Developer's main objective is to help the end user save time and maximize the return on investment in the Oracle Database technology stack.
SQL Developer supports Oracle Database 10g, 11g, and 12c and will run on any operating system that supports Java.
(America's Digital Goddess, Kim Komando, selected this application as the 1/13/2010 Download of the Day.)
As a student, you may already be familiar with Notepad (which is a plain text editor that is installed in the Accessories subdirectory in the Microsoft Windows operating system). Notepad++ can be described as "Notepad on steroids." It has the same easy interface as Notepad but is actually an Integrated Development Environment (IDE), which can be installed in the Portable Apps suite or as an individual application on your PC.
Notepad++ includes some useful Web Development features. Below are some of the highlights of Notepad++, but you will want to take time to review all of its features in order to experience the full functionality of Notepad++.
- Syntax highlighting. You can configure syntax highlighting for almost any programming language using the Style Configurator option in the Settings menu. Syntax highlighting color codes elements, attributes, values, and comments in the source document in a different color, providing a useful debugging technique.
- Save and close options. The Notepad++ menu bar contains two Save icons, one which saves the current document and one that saves all open documents. Two Close buttons (Close and Close All), which close the current document or all open documents, respectively.
- Browser display. From the Run menu, you can view the open document in either the Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox browser. This is useful for checking the browser display in different browsers when developing a Web site.
- FTP Client. You must upload your Web pages to a remote Web server to make them available on the World Wide Web. Notepad++ contains its own FTP program, which allows you to upload and download files directly from the Notepad++ window. Select Plugins | FTP SynchronizeA | Show FTP Folders to open the FTP pane and create a server profile that maps the location of the Web folder on your remote server.
TextPad is a shareware-licensed code editor / compiler that supports a number of programming languages such as Java, C, C++ and HTML with its intuitive interface and the ability to compile source code.
This is a great text editor for a beginning web developer who is familiar with the basic html scripting tags. TextPad has the ability to display a list of the current open documents, to save all open documents at the same time, to display line numbers, to wrap text, to spell check source code, and an option to modify preferences.
BBEdit is the leading professional HTML and text editor for macOS. This award-winning product has been crafted to serve the needs of writers, Web authors and software developers, and provides an abundance of features for editing, searching, and manipulation of prose, source code, and textual data.
An intelligent interface provides easy access to BBEdit’s best-of-class features. These features include (but aren’t limited to):
- grep pattern matching
- search and replace across multiple files
- project definition tools
- function navigation and syntax coloring for numerous source code languages
- code folding; FTP and SFTP open and save
- Git and Subversion integration
- macOS Unix scripting support
- text and code completion
J-Edit is a cross-platform text editor for the mature programmer. This is a great open-source software package that can be used for XML, HTML, Python, Perl, PHP and many, many more. Although it is not considered an Integrated Development Environment (IDE), it does provide all of the functions that one would expect from mature program editor: syntax highlighting, opening multiple files, enhanced cut and paste, code folding, integration with external tools, and File Transfer Protocol (FTP).
The real value of J-Edit lies in the development of a large number of plug-ins to extend the core functionality. The plug-ins are easy to install and manage using an open-source manager.
With the addition of XML plug-ins, J-Edit surpasses many XML-specific editors as a development tool. Its syntax highlighting, code completion, and text indenting features provide a comfortable development for XML programming.
An article by Scott Beatty entitled "Use jEdit to Edit Your PHP" published February 8, 2005, provides useful information on download and installation, plug-in management, editor customization, and support resources.
- Cross-platform editing: Atom works across operating systems. Use it on OS X, Windows, or Linux.
- Built-in package manager: Search for and install new packages or create your own right from Atom.
- Smart autocompletion: Atom helps you write code faster with a smart and flexible autocomplete.
- File system browser: Easily browse and open a single file, a whole project, or multiple projects in one window.
- Multiple panes: Split your Atom interface into multiple panes to compare and edit code across files.
- Find and replace: Find, preview, and replace text as you type in a file or across all your projects.
Sublime Text is a shareware cross-platform source code editor with a Python application programming interface. It natively supports many programming languages and markup languages, and functions can be added by users with plugins, typically community-built and maintained under free-software licenses.
EasyPHP is a software package, including an Apache server, and MySQL database, and administration tools that you install on your flash drive. If you use PHP to develop your Web sites, you have probably found out that you can't view the pages locally; you have to upload them to a server. With EasyPHP, you simply place all your Web pages in the root Web folder (www) on your flash drive and open them in the browser of any computer. EasyPHP has the complete functionality of more robust production servers, so it is especially good for PHP development projects. You can modify the configuration files to enable or disable PHP features and configure your email specifications. You can use phpMyAdmin to interface with your MySQL database and set permissions for users.
GIMP is a cross-platform image editor available for GNU/Linux, OS X, Windows and more operating systems. It is free software, you can change its source code and distribute your changes.
Whether you are a graphic designer, photographer, illustrator, or scientist, GIMP provides you with sophisticated tools to get your job done. You can further enhance your productivity with GIMP thanks to many customization options and 3rd party plugins.
Virtualization is an essential skill for an IT professional. This application allows you to host virtual machines on your computer. You can host amultiple operating systems that use your host hardware but has a layer that integrates with the guest OS.
From the VirtualBox Website: Presently, VirtualBox runs on Windows, Linux, Macintosh, and Solaris hosts and supports a large number of guest operating systems including but not limited to Windows (NT 4.0, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8), DOS/Windows 3.x, Linux (2.4, 2.6 and 3.x), Solaris and OpenSolaris, OS/2, and OpenBSD.
Like Easy PHP, WAMP and MAMP, include an Apache server, MySQL database, and administration tools. They allow you to develop your Websites locally and test before upload. They do not include an FTP server.
PortableApps.com is the world's most popular portable software solution allowing you to take your favorite software with you. A fully open source and free platform, it works from any synced cloud folder (DropBox, Google Drive, Box, etc), from your local PC on an internal or external drive, or on any portable storage device (USB flash drive, memory card, portable hard drive, etc) moved between PCs. With millions of users all over the world and a full collection of open source and freeware software, compatible commercial software, and partners in hardware industry, PortableApps.com is the most complete solution for life on the go.
File Transfer Protocol (FTP)
(Mac) Fetch is a very easy to use FTP program that supports FTP, SFTP and FTP with TLS/SSL (FTPS). It is Free for students!
FileZilla is an open source cross platform FTP program that supports FTP, SFTP and FTP with TLS/SSL (FTPS).
WinSCP is a popular SFTP client and FTP client for Microsoft Windows! Copy files between a local computer and remote servers using FTP, FTPS, SCP, SFTP, WebDAV, or S3 file transfer protocols.